vendredi 3 juin 2011

May 28, Collonges-la-Rouge

As we leave the small road from the house where we’re staying, the GPS, set for the fastest route, sends us on goat paths, literally appalling. Quite often, there’s barely twenty inches of grass before a sheer drop of thirty meters or sometimes much more. I’m not driving and I'm afraid. The sun is strobing through the branches, which really, really does not help. Finally, we get to a road a little more reassuring. Make that a little less scary.

If I’d had to drive for the sake my somebody I love, I would have driven at twenty miles an hour. And if I had to pass another car, I would have just stopped. Want to drive by my car? Be my guest. You want me to move to the side? Show me the way, I won’t even try.

At Collonges-la-Rouge, even the trees are red.




No, they ain't. They are a beautiful rich green and most flowering shrubs are in their late blooming period, with branches still proud and others bowing. But when they say red, Collonges-la-Rouge, they do mean red.






The small town was still sleeping when we arrived. With tourist buses beginning to herd in their flocks, we left and went to a small nearby village, Curemonte. Curemonte is said to be among the most beautiful villages in France. On a Saturday morning, it is also one of the most deserted, which delights the Tourists-who-hates-tourists. From the church square, Curemonte offers this view.





It's a very pretty and quaint village, so lovely that I even forgot to take pictures. Fortunately, Roger let me post one of his.



Roger himself was filmed by a videographer who was shooting a short movie for a group in Curemonte. After closing his interview, the filmmaker said, you will steal the show. And Roger, of course, said with his warm friendly smile, I know.

As we’re getting ready to leave the village to see a church from the tenth century, a few miles away, I began to feel a little unhappy. And the village bar was closed. An old man was leaving his house, I asked if the bar was the only eatery in the village. Very nicely, he told us that there was a small café a little further on and explained how to get there. So we stopped to have lunch at Café Plaisance. For €12, this is what we had. Note that the waitress apologized, while describing the menu: on Saturdays, you know, our menu is a bit simpler...

Soup
Pâté
Steak frites (steak with French fries)
Cheese
Dessert
Wine (8 oz. each)
Coffee

The meal is served family style, one plate with two servings, to be divided the way you want. One tureen of soup, etc. The soup was a vegetable soup, with yellow peas, very good. The pâté was a good country pâté, really generous servings, with small pickles. The steak-frites was as expected, the meat tender and juicy, the fries light and dry. I took this picture of the cheese platter:






Cherry cobbler, caramel cream or ice cream/sherbet. Coffee ice cream for me. Impatient Himself has gone back to Curemonte while I eat my ice cream.

We ate out, by the road, where maybe ten cars drove by in one hour. It seems a known spot for motorcyclists, one group came in, a very quiet group.

Yes, I recommend the place, it's very good and unexpensive, and the waitress is remarkable nice. On the other hand, if you factor in the cost of getting there, it’s not exactly a “value” meal.

We start for Sarlat, but Roger suddenly gets very tired. Back to La Croix Mathieu, where we’re staying. I suggest stopping in Martel, the town located at about one kilometer from the room, to buy some Coke. YES! I spotted a grocery. Closed from 12:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday. Not open in the afternoon on legal holidays. I do hope today’s not one of those. Apparently not, here comes someone. She only enters the store and of course does not invite me along. Some people like to keep you waiting, for some reason. But there we are now, two Cokes, one Perrier. Back to the room. Roger goes to sleep immediately.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire